First Wacky and Wonderful Knockmealdown Family Walk
On Saturday April 20th the first wacky and wonderful Knockmealdown Family walk will take place, unsurprisingly, in the Knockmealdown Mountains.
This is an all gain & no pain way to get your kids, and possibly better halves, to gain an appreciation of what the Knockmealdown Mountain range has to offer one and all.
It will also be a fun way to introduce kids to the great outdoors, being like a ski run without the snow – ok so it’s just a downhill walk.
In essence: A bus takes you to the top and you walk to the bottom. What’s not to love? As if that were not enough at the end there’s a yummy two course lunch for all the family so there’s no need to cook for the hungry little hikers when you get home.
1. Save the date – it’s Saturday April 20th 2013
2. Check in at the Glenview Lounge Goatenbridge between 11 am and 12pm.
3. Costs €10 euro per person (includes 2 course lunch). Kids under 12 walk, talk, eat and pretty much everything else for free!
4. Registration 11am to 12 noon. Bus leaves Glenview Lounge at 12 and winds its way up to the Vee.
5. Having checked out the amazing views you can skip along mountain paths and through the forest
6. No need for any special gear. A waterproof jacket and runners are fine, a fully charged mobile phone is also advisable.
7. Guides from the Peaks Mountaineering Club in Clonmel will be with you all the way – in case you need some help down the mountain.
8. Once you hit Goatenbridge on the return it’s chow time.
9. Chill out for the rest of the day feeling very pleased with yourself.
The Route: The Vee to Glenview Lounge Goatenbridge. Distance.6.7 km. Ascent 69m. Descent 277m. (Yippee!!!)
A pleasant walk from the panoramic Vee along the Heritage Way on mountain and forest path.
DIRECTIONS to The Glenview Lounge Goatenbridge
Take R671 (sign-posted Dungarvan). Travel to Ballydonagh Crossroads (petrol pumps on left), and turn right (sign-posted Newcastle). At next junction turn right, brings you straight into Newcastle Village. . From Newcastle take Clogheen Road for approx. 4k. Turn right in village of Goatenbridge, over bridge, Lounge on R-H-S.
Take R670 to Ardfinnan. At junction turn right, travel through Village to The Hill Bar. Travel uphill, signposted Goatenbridge. Travel this road for approx. 3k. The Glenview Lounge is on your L-H-S.
Take N25. At “Master McGrath” junction turn right onto the R672. Travel to Ballymacarbry Village. Go straight through village and approx. 1.5 miles out turn left (sign-posted Four Mile Water). Pass church on left and at next crossroads, go straight through to Newcastle Village. From Newcastle take Clogheen Road for approx. 4k. Turn right in village of Goatenbridge, over bridge, Lounge on R-H-S.
Please pass this invite along to any future explorers
Amenities and Activities Animator
Galtee and Knockmealdown Regions
Mobile 087 9478985 office 052 7441473